<VV> A list of what is wrong WAS CORSA is broken

Ken Wildman k-wildman at onu.edu
Thu Dec 10 12:52:17 EST 2009

Again, my responses inserted following my initials.  And I've separated my
new comments from the prior posts with X's.  :)

Ken

******************************

"Ken Wildman" <k-wildman at onu.edu> wrote

You really just divided one issue into two "problems".

-----------------------------------
Did I?
Ken P
****************************
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
KNW - Yes, I think you did.  Membership and revenue are almost     X
perfectly correlated.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Membership decline naturally results in a revenue decline unless the dues
are raised to compensate for the smaller number of members.

So, why is membership declining?  The hard truth for many to accept is that
the Corvair IS a low-interest vehicle to the vast majority of car
collectors.  That isn't going to change, no matter what PR we attempt.

--------------------------------
Well, that is a perceived truth ... It assumes facts not in evidence.  It
requires that approaching half of the earlier population of CORSA, those
that HAVE left, have changed their minds about the car.
Ken P

*****************************

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
KNW - Not at all.  Some, maybe a majority, of those who left may have passed
on.  Clubs gain members and lose members all the time because interests
change.  My point is that the available pool of potential Corvair lovers is
very shallow.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

As far as compiling a list I have no interest in trying to pull together all
of the disparate personal grievances that don't reflect a broadly based
consensus.  In fact, that's why I asked for a list.

------------------------------------
Well, I am pretty sure everyone else feels about the same.  That could be
the reason there is no list.  And, is getting a consensus a necessary step
towards solution?
Ken P
*****************************

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
KNW - Why is your "feeling" not just a perceived truth?   :)

And getting a consensus, or even a listing, of perceived problems is the
first step towards solutions.  How do you solve "something" when nobody
agrees what that something is?  I didn't ask for consensus, I asked for a
list of concerns so that all of us can see just what the complaints are
about.

*********************************

Until someone comes up with a viable plan that will make the Corvair as
appealing as a '57 Chevy I don't see the club membership going up.  That may
offend you because people outside our circle don't love the car like we do,
but that's the real world.

Ken
------------------------------------
Offend me?  Not hardly.  Something to ponder though; there are many other
car clubs, and clubs of other interests, that are doing well even though
their popularity does not come close to that of the 57 Chevy. or even the
Corvair.  They also exist in the real world.
Ken P
KNW - Define "doing well".  Membership soaring?  Dues going down?  Are they
supporting a really nice magazine?  Have better social interactions?

As far as I see it this whole debate is based on vague and usually
idiosyncratic dissatisfaction.  The only really specific things I've seen
are issues with membership and with finances, and what appears to be a small
group pushing the demise of the printed magazine.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This getting complicated.   :)

Ken