<VV> Cal and Joan Clark's First Corvairs

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Thu Dec 10 23:22:17 EST 2009

While rummaging through some old Corvair files I came
across some notes that I took when interviewing Cal and
Joan Clark back in the early '80's. I think this was done
for a Communique article that was never published. Here is
a list of the Clark's first half-dozen Corvairs:

1. 1964 Spyder coupe that they found at a Sunoco gas
station in Greenfield, MA in 1972. Car was left in a snow
bank because the previous owner didn't want to pay the $45
repair bill.

2. 1964 Spyder convertible bought from Spence Shepard in
January 1973. At that time Spence lived in Green Haven ,NY
(near Stormville, as if that helps any!). They paid $200
and Spence delivered the car them. It did not have the
turbo engine in it, though.

3. 1966 Corsa convert with a blown piston. The car was on
the way to the junkyard and the Clark's rescued it for $65
or $75 also in 1973.

4. 1968 Coupe with automatic that Joan drove as a parts
chaser everyday. Had only one seat in it so more room for
stuff.

5. a 1961 rusty Rampside truck

6. a 1961 orange Rampside with only 22,000 miles on it and
a bad crankshaft. Seems this one was parked since 1962
after the original owner couldn't get any help from
Chevrolet to get it fixed - even though it was only 14
months old at the time. The Clark's paid $1100 or $1200
for this one.

My notes from back then also say that "now" they own
nearly 200 Corvairs. Is that why I am having so much
trouble buying another Caveman car??? - Caveman Pete