<VV> The Rising Price of Corvairs

Mike Stillwell yenko117 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 11 10:42:33 EST 2009

 I've been in the game so long, that despite plenty of cars added, the 'vert that came to join us last fall was the first I've actually paid money for (rather than a trade, gift... or "just get it out of here!") in six years.

 I think we will see a shift in prices towards the upper end of the curve, because many of the more marginal cars are dissappearing. We are seeing far fewer daily driver's and parts cars that make up the bottom end of the Corvair price curve. What's left are nice original cars, restored cars and some projects that have been stored away, all of which will cost more if you want to add one to your fleet. The other thing to consider is that even on the well maintained cars running around today, they will have had more parts replaced vs. a similar car 20 years ago. It's very common now to replace gas tanks, front to rear gas lines and metal brake lines on cars that were not in very bad shape to start with. This added investment can only increase what the owner will be looking to recoup when the vehicle moves on to the next owner. That's my $.02.

 Mike
 YS-117