<VV> The Rising Price of Corvairs

Jamie & Tanya Reinhart jtreinhart at omnitelcom.com
Fri Dec 11 11:25:46 EST 2009

Pete, Here's my story. God bless my mother for keeping records. She
presented me with an old note book awhile back. This was the entries in it.
1966 Corvair, Bought on 9-13-80 for $500. I was 15 years old. I remember
going to get the car and trailering it home. The shift cable was broke. The
car was a 1966 Monza 2 door hardtop with a 110 powerglide. Dad and I, well
mostly dad, did the body work on the car and had a friend, who was a body
man, paint it. We sold the car on 5-16-81 for $1100 Why? Because this now 16
year old boy (me) found a 1965 Monza 140 4-speed for $325 sitting in an
alley. More HP and four gears is better, right? Did the same thing to the
second car as the first and drove it until it blew a head gskt. Traded it
for a 74 Buick Century. Now skip ahead to April 2002. I had been persuing a
low mile 66 Monza convt. since I had sold my second Corvair. It had been
sold by the local dealership here in Cresco and my dad remembers doing the
new vehicle service on it. I actually put new o-rings in the engine and
redid the brakes on the car in 1985, when I worked at the same dealership. I
had been hounding the second and third owners of the car, to sell it to me,
for 20 years.  I finally got the third owner to sell it to me for $3500. For
me it was worth the price at the time and now it is in the body shop getting
a new paint job inside and out. I hope I can get it back together before the
2010 Convention. Yes prices are going up, but at a more reasonable rate than
any other collector car. That's my story and I'm stickin to it!

Jamie