<VV> Cal and Joan Clark's First Corvairs

tony.underwood at cox.net tony.underwood at cox.net
Fri Dec 11 10:51:33 EST 2009

> My notes from back then also say that "now" they own nearly 200
> Corvairs. Is that why I am having so much trouble buying another
> Caveman car??? - Caveman Pete

I recall almost 30 years ago Cal Clark's mentioning that in his opinion
the 1960 4-doors would likely someday become very rare and scarce
because "nobody is bothering to save any of them" since it's "nothing
but a '60 4-door and not worth anything".

When the one I have now became available (on its way to beeing parted
out and scrapped) I bought it.  It had 3 burned valves and would hardly
run.   I had to give the guy 400 bucks for it to keep him from looting
its gas heater, interior and door panels (that he was gonna put in
another car to sell) and then scrapping the rest since it was "just a
4-door '60 model and not worth much".    Seems that he shoulda dropped
the price A LOT if that was really the case but in any event I took an
immediate liking to it because it genuinely looked as if nobody had ever
loved it and it sure needed some love at that point.   That was a
quarter-century and over 100k miles ago and it still looks the same now
as the day I got it.  Ugly.

It's parked outside in the workplace parking lot.   Just put 5 gallons
of hi-test in it this morning, running smooth as silk.   And even if
some amazingly ambitious character should actually wanna buy it, the
car's not for sale.  It has a home with me until I die.

tony..