<VV> Rising price of non-Vairs and dumb moves

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Dec 12 21:06:01 EST 2009

At 12:04 AM 12/12/2009, peter koehler wrote:
>Reading Matt's Corvair trade history I would like to
>relate my biggest automotive trade blunder. My first
>motorcycle was a spankin' new Honda CB750 K1 4 cylinder
>road monster. At the time one of the fastest bikes
>available (note: owner tested to 145 MPH - really dumb!!).
>Not your best choice for a rookie motorcyclist. One of my
>roommates at college had a very nice 1970 Chevelle SS 454
>coupe that he brought to Michigan from Powell, Wyoming. It
>was special in that he ordered it with the biggest and
>baddest engine available; the 450 HP LS6. He also ordered
>a close ratio Muncie M22 "Rock Crusher" four speed and
>little else.

I once demonstrated how a 1970 LS6 Chevelle was not quicker than a
'66 Plymouth Satellite with a 426 in it...  only by a door's length
but the old Mopar maintained that small lead all the way through to
where it counted.   The bowie smile on the Chevelle owner's face had
a duller sheen after that, especially after how he'd been picking on
me about how he was gonna blow my doors with his Terry Walters
prepped LS6 (while the 426 in the Sat. had been assembled on a big
oily tree stump in my old racer buddy Don Keesey's garage one weekend
from mostly parts and pieces he had left over from his "real" racing
days).

...last time the Chevelle pilot ever spoke a word to me.   ;)

I also thought it was a dumb move to sell my '66 Satellite...  took 9
years to find another (which is in the garage out back as we speak,
in need of some care and feeding since it's been in storage since
1981).  Only problem is that this replacement Satellite has a
383-hiperf engine donated by a demolished 68 Super-Bee...  good
enough for the moment I guess.    Sat. is parked beside a '63 Spyder
convert. that's a long term project currently up on blocks, no
driveline/interior/top.

I once traded an older Hasselblad camera w/80mm2.8 and spare magazine
for a '63 Monza coupe.

tony..