<VV> PayPal questions no vair

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 14 01:12:26 EST 2009

These "phishing" expeditions are ALWAYS going on.   - not just using PayPal,
but all sorts of companies - generally in the financial industry.  US Bank,
Wells Fargo. Bank of American and on and on.  Many appear very sophisticated
as they "capture" or reproduce very closely an actual screen from the
company being mimicked (spoofed).  Ever gotten an email from a bank that you
don't do business with?  Usually it will say something like - your account
will be locked until you verify certain information - click the link.  The
sender has no idea what bank you do business, he just figures that SOME real
customers of that bank will get the email and some of THOSE will fall into
the trap.

If you fall for the "come on" your LINK CLICK takes you somewhere other than
where you thought you were going to be.  At that point, you have essentially
been "had".  All sorts of nasties can be funneled to you computer - many of
which can lead to identity theft.

One possible tip-off to these spoofs is that they often (certainly not
always) are addressed to (as example) "undisclosed recipients"@yourisp.net
or .com - whatever applies.

Later, JR