<VV> Membership question -- 100% vs Not.

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Tue Dec 15 17:51:05 EST 2009

Although not so delicately put, I agree with everything you said
(which is odd).  Less people that pay more and are not cheap reflects
the change in the "Corvair Market" from cheap fun transportation
available as a used car to genuine collector car with some fairly
serious coin being spent on them.  These two groups are different
people.  The later will pay the money as they pay 20k or more to
restore their car(s), 70 bucks for dues is not going to kill
them.  This is what happens as the Corvairs get older ... they are
finally collector cars.  Some of the members hate it.  There are new
members that are younger and only know the Corvair as a collector
car.  Some have changed with the times -- when I got my first Corvair
I certainly could not afford a 20k restoration.  It was cheap fun
transportation.  Now ... I have two very nice ones, but when it is
time for a long trip I drive something more modern (stereo, iPod,
A/C, heated seats, lumbar support, air bags, power steering, I could
go on, but, as I get older I kind of like that kind of stuff).  But
my Corvairs are now hobby collector cars, not real transportation,
and not real cheap either.

I do drive my sedan daily around town, but if it dies it is only a
short tow home.  George Folchi said that I am the only one he knows
(he does Judson rebuilds for MB, MG, VW, Triumph, Corvair, and
others) that uses a Judson powered car as a daily driver.  Anyone else?  E

At 03:47 PM 12/15/2009, you wrote:
> > I also agree that allowing chapters to have members that don't belong
> > to national is a self-inflicted wound.  I mean, if you have a
> > Corvair, why wouldn't you belong?
>
>And here I was, thinking I was the only one who thinks this is folly.
>
>Want Reasons?
>TOO CHEAP.  If they can get something WITHOUT PAYING, they're first
>in line. Probably the largest group.  I can tell you stories about
>the cheapness of some Corvair people that would make your teeth curl.
>
>REFUSE TO BE FORCED-- They're too "Independent" to be "Forced" into
>joining CORSA, but They're right there to get all the bennies of
>belonging to a chapter.
>
>Just want the fellowship of a local chapter, don't feel that CORSA
>does enough for them to merit their hard-earned coin.
>
>And I'm sure there's more.
>
>Self-Inflicted wound?   No doubt.  Directors fear that if 100%
>membership was required, those who refuse to join CORSA would
>leave.  SO? Don't let the door hit you in the ass.   If CORSA has to
>be a club with 3000 dues paying members instead of 4500 members, of
>which 3000 pay dues,  I don't see what the loss is.
>
>If CORSA made the membership 100% rule, and put some teeth in it,
>and the dues had to be raised to 60 or 70 dollars a year to cover
>expenses,  I'd pay it---as long as everyone else has to, that's
>fair.  But I'm not payin' another dime so hundreds of chapter
>members can not pay and be all indignant and righteous about
>it.   That's just a bucket of dung.
>
>Goes right back to "you wanna play, you gotta pay".
>
>In the Marine Corps League, it's simple.  These are our rules. You
>wanna play our game, you play by our rules.  If you don't wanna play
>by our rules,  Vaya Con Dios, Amigo.   Go join the VFW and get drunk
>for all anyone cares.
>
>I feel very bad that CORSA is on the slippery slope to an eventual
>demise.  As with the Confederacy, let it be written on CORSA's headstone:
>
>  "Died of a Theory"
>
>Hank

Merry Christmas from:

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(928) 301-7537                           Cell

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!    http://www.vicsmba.com

Fun personal pictures:  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and
more.  http://www.vicsmba.com/ourpics/index.html

However, most new pictures are on Facebook.