<VV> Insurance, Waivers, Lawyers and Officers (long)

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Tue Dec 15 18:46:20 EST 2009

First off, let me say that I am not an expert. I am not a
lawyer. I am not an insurance agent. And thankfully I am
no longer a club officer. At one time I was an officer and
I aspired to that post because of the insurance vs.
required membership debate.

There is a lot of discussion about the value of requiring
local club members to also belong to the National
organization here on VV. My first exposure to this issue
was back in 1979 when I was made an "honorary member" of
one of the local CORSA chapters that pre-dated the
formation of the National: CCE. At that time I worked at
the Chevrolet Chicago Zone Office and the club was
"sponsored" by Chevrolet. That meant CCE could hold their
meetings at the GM Training Center in Hinsdale, IL. I was
supposed to go and "sponsor" the activity.

One thing lead to another and I became active in the club.
The issue of requiring CORSA membership of all CCE members
was not popular with CCE. So I ran for the CORSA BoD and
got elected. Within a few years I was on the Executive
Committee and I followed the insurance issue very closely.
I found that our insurance carrier did not require 100%
membership. Now this was back in the early 1980's so you
would have to check the current policy. But I think you
will find that there is still no 100% requirement from the
insurance aspect.

Lets look at the waiver issue. I agree that at times a
waiver will not protect as you may think it does. Can you
get sued? One of my favorite sayings is, "There is a
lawyer somewhere who take your case". And the officers
would be named in the suit. And you might be required to
defend yourself (read that: Pay for your own lawyer). A
good defense against that would be to take out what is
called a "Blanket Policy" to protect yourself from
spurious lawsuits generated from your participation in the
club. Is this the end-all cure-all? Heck no. You still
might get sued.

Is 100% CORSA membership a good idea at this time?
Probably. I still think it would be better to get members
because they want to join - not because they have to join.
But 100% still might be the best alternative now in 2009.

Just remember, it is not an insurance requirement. But it
still could be a good idea. - Pete Koehler