<VV> Leadership.

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Sat Dec 19 11:03:03 EST 2009

James,

I think we do agree, you just don't know it. :)

Everything you say about the BoD is true -- and is true of most boards,
especially non-profit boards.  The board's job is governance, and I
wasn't knocking the board.  As far as I know, they're doing a fine job.

No matter how good a leader a board member may be that's not the
position from which to exercise leadership.  Board members are elected
for a term.  What happens when that person loses an election or decides
not to run again?
I would never want to on a BoD without an ongoing leader who was
completely separate from the board.  It would be frustration squared.

Every successful organization has a leader -- CEO, Executive Director,
etc.  This is not an elected position, and the person who fills the
position reports to the BoD.  From this structure flows continuity and
accountability.  The executive is accountable to the board and the board
to the membership.

Who is this person in Corsa?  If he or she exists, he or she is not
doing their job and should be replaced.  If he or she does not exist,
perhaps Harry and Mike should be replaced with a salaried executive and
perhaps an assistant.

Dave Keillor