<VV> Corvair engine still going

DON W HILTPOLD JR igotstuff at msn.com
Sun Dec 20 13:50:40 EST 2009

A few years ago I picked up on a corvair that a woman needed removed from her garage. When I went to look it over I noticed that it had a plate sticker dating 1978. Time had taken its toll and it was rotting from the bottom up, I pulled on the belt and the engine still turned free. I got the car for the cost of towing and figured that I could part out and use parts I needed. I then acquired a 64 700 4 door that need an engine and I thought I might see if this engine that had been sitting now 30 years would still have life in it. Andy K. & Dave S from Racine WI came up and helped me fire this up. With very little effort and 30 year old oil this engine roared to life and ran great. It now runs even better with new carbs and fresh oil, the only problem was one bad lifter that is stuck. The corvair engine is a resilient engine, you would have to neglect it for ever, then again who know what makes an engine better than one to the next.
Don Hiltpold
South Milwaukee WI.