<VV> Non-Corvair "No Start" Help ! question

roboman91324 at aol.com roboman91324 at aol.com
Tue Dec 22 14:58:22 EST 2009

Charlie,

I am posting this to VV as well as to you directly because it  may help
others with similar problems whatever their make of car.

On most modern cars with computers, you can access the  computer without
the scanner.  The computer stores the problem errors in  memory for a
predetermined number of car starts.  You will need to jumper  between two contacts
and the error codes will flash at you from the dash board  lights.  You then
look them up and hopefully figure out what the problem  is.  This is done
with the ignition on but without the engine  running.  At least, that is how
it works with most makes of car.  Buy  a service manual from your FLAPS for
your series of car to learn what contacts  to jumper and how to interpret the
codes.

Please note that the codes will scroll through in sequence and  then start
over.  Write down the codes and let it scroll through a couple  of times to
make sure you have it right

In general, once you have interpreted the codes, the trick is  to figure
what is really wrong.  Many problems will create an Oxygen sensor  error
message just because the engine is running poorly.  This doesn't mean  that you
have a bad sensor.  Many dealerships and other mechanics use this  as an
excuse to replace perfectly good sensors and other parts.  It sounds  like you
have a good clue as to the problem already but you should always try to
match symptoms to the error messages to avoid replacing parts  unnecessarily.

By the way, most scanners are capable of reading the  errors without the
engine running.  Are you sure that yours is not capable  of this?

By the way, using the jumper method is a cheap way to avoid  buying a
scanner for all you frugal types out there.  You will need to buy  or have access
to a manual but at least you will have it as a reference for any  other
problems that may come up in the future.

Good luck,

Doc

Message:  5