<VV> really simple dumb question: coil radio noise suppressor (long answer)

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Thu Dec 24 01:22:29 EST 2009

Ray,
Old factory radios had one wire to the speaker and the negative of the
speaker was grounded. Most new modern radios and amps need a positive AND a
negative wire to each speaker. Make sure that neither of those wires touch
ground. Otherwise, you might let the smoke out of your amplifier<SMILE>. Be
careful not to add too many speakers and reduce the impedance lower than the
amp specifications.

As for your stock radio. Depending on which one it is, It probably outputs
positive speaker wires only. If your amp is floating ground, as I guess it
is by your message, you will need to run two wires; positive and negative
from the amp to the front speaker. Many speakers from that era had the
negative of the speaker grounded. You will have to check for that and
correct it as necessary. I recommend replacing the front speaker with a
modern one or two 4-inch. The old stock ones are most likely dried out,
can't handle much power and are usually 10 ohm. The amp won't like them.

 As for two front speakers, I suggest that you buy or make a plate that is
the same shape as your stock speaker and install two 4-inch speakers up in
the dash. That way you can keep the amplifier balanced with the same speaker
load to both left and right. I installed two 4-inch 2-way speakers in the
dash of my 63 Spyder that way. I also installed a 220uf 100V non-polarized
capacitor in line with each positive speaker wire. This makes a high pass
filter and blocks bass so the small speakers don't have to try to reproduce
music below their capability. I have 6X9 2-way speakers in the rear to
produce the bass. All four speakers are fed with a 300 watt 4-channel
amplifier installed under the dash behind the radio, connected to my radio
pre amp outputs. I also installed a stiffening capacitor to help provide
constant power to the amp when I play music loud with the top down on the
freeway.

As for the engine noise, It can come from several sources. It is always best
to try to fix the problem at the source rather than using a noise filter at
the radio or amp. As the name implies, it is a filter and they usually only
filter out some of the noise. A less than proper sound system installation
can also induce noise.

Now on to fixing your problem.

First of all, let's check the audio system installation. I will talk about
both modern radios and stock ones for everyone's advantage. Make sure that
both the radio and the amp have good solid grounds. They should also have
their own individual power leads. If you are feeding your amp with low level
pre amp RCA cables, make sure that you use good quality shielded cables.
Make sure that they do not run parallel to any power wires. If you must
cross a power wire, try to do it at right angles. I recommend running the
amp power wire down the driver's side and the radio to amp RCA cables down
the passenger side. If you using a stiffening capacitor, make sure the
ground is solid and not grounded on the same screw as the amp or radio. Be
sure to charge the capacitor properly before turning on the radio. Read the
Capacitor instructions. (I saw one blow up one time). Check that your
antenna is properly grounded to the body where it is mounted up under the
inside of the fender. Verify the power and ground for the satellite radio
adaptor. Make sure that the audio wires from the satellite radio to the
antenna adaptor do not go parallel to any power wires. Is the antenna
adaptor properly grounded? Verify that any speaker wires do not run parallel
to power wires anywhere in the system.

Now that the radio is installed correctly, let's check out the engine.
Usually, if everything under the hood is correct, and the sound system is
properly installed, the engine noise in the sound system will go away.
Besides, the engine will run at its best.

Do you have the woven grounding straps installed at all four corners of the
engine? (For reference, Clark's part number C435R or C435RL) Is your voltage
regulator grounded properly? Are your battery terminals clean and tight? Is
your ground cable properly grounded to both the body and the engine? Are
those connections clean? Are the wires attached to the alternator in good
condition? Inside the distributor, did you follow the Pertronix instructions
and install the plate ground strap securely? Are the low voltage wires on
the coil secure and in good condition? Is you cap and rotor in good
condition? Are your plugs in good condition and properly gaped? You said
that you had Seth's wires. Are you talking about his 8MM plug wires? If so,
are they in good condition? Start the car and look closely at the running
engine in the dark. Slide the rubber disks on the plug wires away from the
shroud. Look for any sparks that you might be having. Check the full length
of each plug wire. DON'T FORGET TO REPLACE THE RUBBER WIRE/SHROUD DISKS
AFTERWORD! Look at the harmonic balancer. Static sparks from a harmonic
balancer can sound the same as ignition noise. Rub some graphite lube on the
balancer to join both parts across the rubber dampener. Look at the rear of
the alternator. If you see any sparks, do what is necessary to fix them. Low
level engine static will be louder when you are using an amplifier on the
sound system.

Check those things and get back to me.

Good luck,

Dave Thompson