<VV> really simple dumb question: coil radio noise suppressor

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed Dec 23 11:15:49 EST 2009

Yes, Radio Shack is a good source for the noise chokes. I like to put one on
every audio power wire...

But I think you have a more basic issue with design. It sounds like you are
running unshielded wire from the radio back to the amp... then amping
everything you pick up with that wire. As you note, that can be quite the
signal even with the radio off.... then you're amping that low level
interference up along with your radio signal and turning it into real sound!

Either move your amp up front near the radio or figure out how to run a
shielded signal back to the amp... I think that will cure 90%+ of your
problems.

Modern electronics doesn't like using the car body as the negative speaker
ground either...another way to pick up a lot of noise...  run shielded
positive and negative to the amp then separate positive and negative to each
speaker without grounding anything expect the head unit and amp to the car
itself.

Bill