<VV> Corvette "drivers"

Gary Swiatowy gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Thu Dec 31 12:19:19 EST 2009

This is not unique to Corvette owners.
Dare I say it, I have even seen this extend to Corvair owners.
I almost got caught up in it years ago, when my 65 Monza was "fresh" It came
within a hair of senior division.
But, it has come down in Concours status over the years to a solid bronze.
I have 10 "collector" cars.
I have more fun driving them to cruise nights, than I do showing them.
I do go to shows though, every weekend during the summer, and oftentimes I
decide which one to take simply on which one has gas in it.
If I wanted to build a monument with awards, I would concenterate on one
specific car, instead of spreading myself around 10 of them. But sometimes,
I like to drive my 77 MarkV, listening to the Quadraphonic Stereo, with the
sunroof open. Sometimes the 73 T-Bird gets the nod, this is the car my
grandfather bought new, and gave to me in 78, now with only 40,000 miles,
most of them mine.
For sheer power, I have 2 Coronet convertibles for top down cruising.
But, for Corvairs, 5 of them, ready to go, anytime.

I have boxes of awards in the attic and basement, most of which I have no
idea what car won it. Gathering dust and mildew.
Sitting here at the computer, I admit I have several hanging on the wall
around me, mostly ones that are unique, or hold a special memory.

I know Corvair people, who will not go to a certain show as it does not have
a Corvair class, and don't want to compete against other makes, because they
"won't win".

I've seen it in the MOPAR Club, and seen it horribly in the Thunderbird
Club. T-Bird owners who can't take the car out of the garage if there is any
chance of rain. And even those who are afraid the sun will dry out the
interior and fade the paint. people I know who take their cars out maybe
once or twice a year.

I am way too much involved, but opnce warm weather is here, I simply enjoy
my toys.........

Gary Swiatowy
10 toys and counting!