<VV> [VV-talk] Taxes

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 14:09:35 EST 2009

A friend of mine who works for the British Treasury told me once that the
reason the government is so fond of sales taxes in general and gas tax in
particular is because it is much harder to evade and easier to collect than
income tax.

The collection rate for income tax is well under 50% and the number of
allowances is breathtaking. On the other hand, the collection rate for gas
tax is 100%, the people who collect it pay all the costs, and there are no
allowances.

So although sales tax in general and gas tax in particular are very unfair
and regressive taxes (they act disproportionately on those least able to
afford it), the government loves them. I suspect Senator Obama is just about
to work out from the example set by his nice friend Mr Brown how wonderful
gas taxes are, too.

Although actually the person who set the precedent of not spending gas taxes
on the roads was... Winston Churchill! So you see, he wasn't perfect!

And next time anyone tells you that the purpose of taxing gas is to Save The
World, you can set them straight.

Cheers

Alan