<VV> Old Sagging springs

Sweaney monza17 at cox.net
Mon Feb 2 18:49:55 EST 2009

Mr. Nall is right.

Now that you mention it he did say that he had marked the jack so he knew
how far to stretch the spring.  Although I have never done this or even seen
it done I think what I would do is this.

Make the stretching gizmo.

Take the springs off the car.

Push the lower control arm down as far as it will go.

Measure from the top spring saddle to the lower spring saddle.

Stretch the spring a bit.

Release the spring and measure it.

If it is still shorter than the measurement above then stretch it a bit
more.

Keep doing that until you get the length (or height) to 1 inch more than the
maximum distance between the saddles.  (see above measurement)

That is kind of what installing them was like.  To fit them in you had to
slightly hit them or slightly (about an inch) compress them to get them in
place.

This is just a suggestion of course.  There are no doubt more of you guys
out there that are more capable so feel free to sound off.

I will say again it worked beautifully and I liked it at the time because
replacement springs were out of my budget.  It also bothered me about the
disclaimer on the spring description.  The way I read it was "I would take
uneven sagging springs off, pay a bunch of money + shipping so I could put
uneven sagging springs back on.

I guess this process is kind of like the coil spring version of re-arching
leaf springs and that has been done for years.

I'll go back to lurking now.  Take care guys.  MS

Mr. Nall Wrote..

Just undoing what TIME had done....  just a matter of "trial  & error"
until

you can determine how far to stretch a given PN   spring to get it to end up

at the correct ride height.

Matt Nall

All Vairs!

Visit my Webpages!  tinyurl.com/The-Patio somewhere between Sea Mountain and
Coos Bay.  OR.