<VV> lifter noise

N6nev at aol.com N6nev at aol.com
Wed Feb 11 11:12:27 EST 2009

That's why I do the adjustment cold and engine at rest,   no mess or noise
(OPPS)  Larry

In a message dated 2/10/2009 4:44:50 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net writes:

Dave,  there is a simple, but a bit dirty, way to quiet a lifter. With the
engine running warm and the left valve cover off, find the loose one(s)  and
very slowly turn the nut down untill it stops clattering  (about a 1/4 turn or
less).That should do it. The "book" will say to turn  the nut down till the
clattering stops and then 1 more full turn. I like  another 1/2 to 3/4 turn.

You must do it slowly as the lifter will  adjust itself hydraulically. I
don't like the word "knocking" it should be a  clicking sound.

The oil is HOT and splashes a bit.
MIKE  KOVACS