<VV> Lifter noise

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Wed Feb 11 12:58:58 EST 2009

Dave Wrote:

Actually I drove the car yesterday about 14 miles and when I had  gotten
home thats when I had noticed it the most. The knocking definitely was
coming from the left side of the engine. So today i removed the valve cover
and noticed that no matter the postion of crank 1 or 2 lifters was almost
always loose.

Im just kinda weary about tightening it down without knowing a  little
more...thanks,  Dave

Craig replies:

Hmm.  The valve train doesn't just loosen itself.  I'm kinda worried for
you.  If the rocker arm nuts all have about the same number of threads
exposed (2 or 3 is typical) that means the rocker arm nuts haven't backed
off and something else has given up. It's possible that a lifter has failed
but then adjustment isn't the cure.  Also, ticking, rather than knocking is
the typical valve train noise.  Other possibilities: Dropped valve seat,
seized valve guide+bent pushrod, pushrod failure (tip).  Most likely is the
valve seat.  Check the valve stem height vs the other cylinders. If it's
down that's your indicator of a shifted valve seat.  Remember, sometimes the
seat only comes out partially.  Of course you can try and adjust it away,
but something lost .100" or so in there, assuming the lifters were properly
adjusted to begin with.

Craig Nicol