<VV> My Rebuild

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Feb 15 00:22:44 EST 2009

In a message dated 2/14/2009 7:08:03 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
daretocorvair at yahoo.com writes:

I  finished the ignition controller called a Megajolt Lite Jr. V4 (version 4)
 within the last few days, and with the help of Nick Williams and Brent P of
the company that makes the Unit (Autosport Labs) went to creating an ignition
 map.  Now that I have no distributor, I have to manually input the amount
of advance per load and RPM range in a computer program dedicated to the
controller. I haven’t used it yet, but I can attest to the fact that for how  cheap
it is to have one of these systems in your car, it’s hardly even worth  it to
spend all the money having the original distributors for our cars  recurved
unless there’s some sort of nostalgic or concours reason to keep it.  There are
better options!
I now have complete control with a 10x10 ignition  map, including the option
of installing a shift light, a temp sensor for  warm-up mapping...  the list
goes on. Also, built into the system is a  “soft” rev limit that stops your
engine from going over your own specified RPM  range, and dials back your
advance to accomplish the  task.

Hello Ryan,
I've got to admire your ambition but please let me offer a word of advice.
Having rebuilt Corvair engines for some double digit number of years I have
learned something (I think).

Here it is......It is highly advisable to make major changes serially so
that you will have time to determine the effects of each change and   isolate any
problems resulting from that change. By dumping the distributor  along with
all of the other mods you are making to your engine, you are  compounding the
likelihood of some problem developing and being unable to  isolate the cause
(or taking forever to isolate it). So please consider using a  plain distributor
until you are satisfied you new engine is running the way you  want it to.
Then, and only then, go to the DIS. Just my hard-earned  opinion........
Regards,
Bob Helt
**************Need a job? Find an employment agency near you.
(http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=employment_agencies&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000003)