<VV> Road salt vs. none

Thesuperscribe at cs.com Thesuperscribe at cs.com
Sun Feb 15 21:24:18 EST 2009

Because I live in Ohio (and grew up in Wisconsin), and have experienced
winter conditions in other places, I think I understand why they use road salt in
most of the Midwest and East but not Idaho and elsewhere in the West. It's the
climate(s).

Here the winters are not only cold much of the time but often damp. After
snow and freezing rain falls, they stay 'til we get a thaw. That might not come
for weeks, and a deep freeze often ensues first. If a municipality doesn't have
a lot of equipment for its size (like the City of Columbus), they can't get
the snow clear from the side streets, especially, before it begins hardening.

In many places out West the air is consistantly dry (especially at higher
altitudes, like Colorado Springs), and it can warm up in a day or two or three
and start melting or sublimating (evaporating straight into the air). Crews can
spread some sand and that'll be good because the snow will soon begin
disappearing. Yes, they have to plow, but once it's scraped close to the pavement the
sun will take care of it.

I get as irked as anybody when I see that a municipal or state crew has
grossly oversalted or sprayed brine on a Thursday or Friday because a little snow
is forecast during the weekend and the department wants to save some overtime.
Now you got me started.

--Tom in Ohio

***

In a message dated 2/15/2009 6:44:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,