<VV> Why I ran for the CORSA Board 28 Years ago

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Mon Feb 16 19:38:34 EST 2009

I have read most of the comments here on VV about the BoD
and the dues increase and mandatory CORSA membership etc.
I would like to express my feelings specifically about the
mandatory membership rule. My first exposure to the
"organized" part of the Corvair Hobby was toward the end
of the 1970's. I was introduced to the Chicagoland Corvair
Enthusiasts car club and eventually joined them. At first
I was the "sponsor" so they could use a GM facility for
their meetings. I guess you could say that one thing lead
to another and the rest is history.

My first exposure to CORSA was not the greatest. I had
heard of a National Convention in Michigan (1979) and
since my wife was a native we packed up our infant son and
headed to Detroit in our 1960 700 sedan. With no seat
belts. Try that today! When we arrived at the host hotel
in Southfield we were turned away at the registration desk
because we were not CORSA members. There was no effort to
recruit me so I could join the festivities. Just beat it -
you're not a member and only members are welcome. So we
drove away in our little 1960 Corvair.

About this same time there was a lot of chatter about
making CORSA membership mandatory for insurance reasons or
whatever. Sound familiar? My good friend Larry Claypool
wanted to get elected to the Board so he could help direct
this discussion. His first attempt failed because not
enough CCE members were also dues-paying and voting CORSA
members. We fixed that for the next election in true
Chicago style. We bought votes. I joined CORSA
specifically so I could vote for Larry. I guess now they'd
let me go to their conventions...

The following year there was still a lot of chatter about
mandatory CORSA membership and all of the related banter.
So I decided to run for the Board so I, too could voice
the opinion that Corvair enthusiasts should come to the
decision that CORSA membership is a good thing for them.
They should not join CORSA because there was a rule that
said they HAD to. Maybe I was younger and more of an
idealist back then. But look at it this way: We are a
group of people who profess to be rugged individualists.
We like Corvairs because they are different. We don't
people telling us what cars to like. Heck, there was a
Yale educated Lawyer (Barrister, for my Canadian friends)
who told us flat out that these cars were no good. They
were dangerous. Don't drive them! You will get hurt! Did
we listen to him? No. We made up our own minds. And that
is what Corvair people like to do. That is why I ran for
the Board 28 years ago.

I found my reason to join CORSA. We should continue to try
to help non-members find that reason. In the interim we
should find an alternate path to fiscal responsibility. Is
a dues increase the only answer? No, but it may have been
the best solution to the current situation. Not being
privy to all of the data I would not want to profess to
know the answer, but I'm sure the BoD is working every
angle. Mandatory membership might be a simple solution,
but it is a very complex set of issues. I think we should
keep searching for a better fix.- Respectfully, Pete
Koehler; former Board member, former Executive Committee
member and former CORSA President