<VV> Communique improvement idea number 7]

corvairs corvairs at pacifier.com
Tue Feb 17 17:50:04 EST 2009

Bob's methodology for accomplishing these things is totally correct.
There is one great flaw - and that is the reality of volunteers on the
Board. Having been on the Board for 3 years myself, I guess I'd better
enlighten people to the realities.

The Corsa Board meets officially for one day out of the year - just
before the convention. Every member of the Board is a volunteer,
including the officers. Some board meetings have gone late into the
evening. Having a great deal of experience with political meetings I can
tell you that anything over 10 hours is counterproductive. But I digress.

A common flaw in new board members who are all worked up for "fixing
everything", is to assume that they are entering a professional setting,
and are dealing with paid employees. Some of these board members are or
have been successful business managers in their real life. The actual
realities really throw them - and rather than learn to work with things
as they really are, many of them get frustrated and quit.

Quite frankly, the Corsa Board can barely handle the "normal" decision
making process that is required to operate the organization. Expecting
most board members to put out an additional heroic effort to deal with
some of these other issues is unrealistic. So that means we have crappy,
lazy, incompetent board members? No. We have normal people who have
other lives and other, more important (to them) responsibilities. As it
is they are already putting out substantially more effort for Corsa than
99% of the rest of the membership.

And please don't say, "Well then we need to elect better board members".
This process has been going on for literally 40 years and the realities
remain the same. Or does anyone believe that, in every single board
election, we've been getting slackers?

Bob's ideas are very good, but they cannot be viewed as "solutions". The
truly brilliant person will be the one who comes up with a way to find
those unique volunteers who will follow through with all these "great
ideas".

I know this isn't what some people want to hear, but it all comes back
to being willing to look at reality and deal with it accordingly. Don't
forget Hanks cautionary tale about the Riviera club. Too often I have
seen organizational situations that function very well - all because of
one or a few dedicated volunteers, only to discover that when they are
gone the entire organization falls apart. In those cases, as a post
mortem, I ask my favorite question. Were all those members riding on the
back of those few dedicated volunteers? Obviously yes.

Let's quit coming up with ideas and put all our efforts into figuring
out how to identify "Super"-Volunteers (And yes, how to reward them as
well). Because without them none of these other ideas will go anywhere.

Lon Wall
Former Western Director