<VV> Header Mufflers

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Tue Feb 17 23:14:51 EST 2009

At 17:02 2/17/2009 -0500, Dave Heath wrote:

>What do people recommend for mufflers with headers?  I have the Clark's
>Ultimate Headers which I bought over 15 years ago.  It is time for a
>different sound than what you get from the supplied mufflers and I was
>curious what others with this setup were using.

Hello Dave,

I do not have headers on any of our Corvairs, but I have made up a custom
(to fit 140 manifolds) crossover for my wife's 65 Monza with a 110
engine.  At the end of this crossover I installed a single 4" SuperTrapp
muffler.  This setup produces a nice low, throaty sound that can be tuned
for sound and back pressure with the installation of more or less diffuser
plates.  After some experimentation, I found that 8 plates eliminated the
awful drone that usually occurs at about 60 MPH.

Check out this site:
http://www.supertrapp.com/product_sections/auto/index.asp

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI