<VV> 1 REASON TO JOIN CORSA

Rod Murray rmurray at anaheimducks.com
Thu Feb 19 18:53:33 EST 2009

Here's a big one...The tax writeoffs!

I just got back from meeting w/ tax agent...let me first preface this by saying that my agent is an honest, career tax person who knows the laws and the system - she will go to the edge, but not over, the legal allowances.  We tapped into the info below last year, but looked much closer this time...

Summarily, as a member of non-profit groups CORSA and Vintage Corsa, as well as Vintage Corsa's affiliation with charitable partner "got kids", my Corvairs qualify as non-profit promotional vehicles, thus allowing the following legitimate tax-based deductions...

- all out-of-pocket expenses related to said club membership and club activities, including annual dues, meeting meals, logo swag, parking fees, toll charges, event entry fees, raffle drawings, etc...
- all out-of-pocket travel expenses related to attendance and participation in corvair events (ie travel to the national convention...writeoff airfare, hotel, meals, mileage, etc)
- all general Corvair mileage (over 3K miles in my case)...ie cruising is in effect promoting CORSA
- the PURCHASE of my greenbrier last January ($1,100)...ie I bought a vehicle that will promote CORSA
- all out-of-pocket expenses related to Corvair ownership...including DMV, fuel, cosmetics, and maintenance and upkeep...expenses necessary to maintain the vehicle that promotes CORSA, be it a fuel pump, an oil change, windshield, paint job, engine rebuild, or car wax.
- if you choose to get your club newsletters on line and print at home, you can writeoff your internet service, computer, printer, ink, and paper.

Interestingly, if you AND your spouse are both CORSA members, you can double applicable writeoffs like airfare, meals, dues, swag, etc.

Ironically, the only thing I couldn't write off is the volunteer time invested supporting your Corvair-related activities...in my case, that means time spent on the club and vendor websites, blogs, newsletter, eblasts, and just hanging out talking vairs.  But hey, you'll never see me doing any of these w/o smiling anyway.

So what's the lesson learned?  Join CORSA, save $$$!

As always, check with your trusted tax representative...may not be available in all areas...some restrictions may apply...residents of Alaska and Hawaii add 3% additional sales tax...hot chicks are at the library...

Rod
Vintage Corsa
Web, PR, Corvair Tax Consultant