<VV> We like to be asked?...maybe begged...

Secular rusecular at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 13:08:22 EST 2009

  volunteer (n.)

  c.1600, "one who offers himself for military service," from M.Fr. voluntaire,
  noun use of adj. meaning "voluntary," from L. voluntarius "voluntary,
  of one's free will" (see voluntary). Non-military sense is first recorded 1638.
  The verb is first recorded 1755, from the noun. Tennessee has been the
  Volunteer State since the Mexican War, when a call for 2,800
  volunteers brought out 30,000 men.

  http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=volunteer

  Now raise your hand if you are of the belief that James K. Polk (the then
  US? President) sent an individual/personal volunteer request to 30,000 men ;-)

  The mindset of "I like to be asked" perhaps belongs to the zone when your
  partner in life reminisces about how you got married. Simply volunteer since
  waiting for that red carpet and that knock on the door by a blonde
  CORSA? BoD, is gonna get you more gray hair :)

  It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice...

  Regards,

  Tony I.