<VV> Changing gear ratios in Corvair transmission

Delta Mfg. deltainc at grm.net
Wed Feb 25 15:49:07 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clark Hartzel" <chartzel at comcast.net>
Subject: <VV> Changing gear ratios in Corvair transmission

> Ken at Deltawerkes asked about this.  To change a gear ratio one gear
> has to be bigger or smaller and the mating gear has to be whatever pitch
> diameter fits the center distance.
***
ken sez:  We do keep the same pitch diameter/pitch circle as spec gears.
********
 You can't change a gear ratio by
> altering the number of teeth in the same pitch diameter.
********
Ken Sez::  Here is where the nasuea sets in ... we use the same pitch
diameter blanks, but cut different number of gear teeth on that diameter.
(g) .   Yes, we alter the number of teeth in the same pitch diameter.  Yes
it works.   Don't feel bad... some very very intelligent people still tell
me it won't work ... in fact, it is probably a testimony to your
intelligence that you see it that way at first slice ... you would have to
be stupid to think it would work.

If it helps, here is how they are generated:::  we use a vertical shaper;
the cutter tool looks just like a true gear.   The workpiece blank is put
under the sharp edged gear cutter, and both rotate while the cutter goes up
and down .... it eats its way into the workpiece ...  shaves off a whole
bunch of 0.001 wide chips .....   we select the change gears in the
generator machine to generate the quantity of gear teeth we want for the
ratio we want to achieve.... the resulting cut * HAS * to fit the ideal
gear, because the cutter tool * IS * an ideal gear ( sharpened on one
de.   )

This discussion is not by way of winning points in a geeky argument; just
that it is interesting in what might be done ... probably a solution without
a problem in Corvairs maybe ...  ( heh heh ) ... if you like please feel
free to contact me off forum.... also, we show some of these on our web page
(  www.deltainc-usa.com )   there are 3 low speed gears and 3 high speed
gears ... these are driver gears; 3 each for the low speed and the high
speed in our constant mesh autoshifted ground speed shifted transmissions.
They run against normal classic spec gears.

Thanks for your time; ken campbell, deltawerkes.