<VV> Fuel Pump Wiring - was: electrical loading Q

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Thu Jan 1 16:07:16 EST 2009

At 15:05 1/01/2009 -0500, Craig Nicol wrote:

>The correct way is to install a relay that supplies fused power from
>themain lead at the fuse panel. The relay is then activated by the cranking
>signal and after starting is maintained by a special 3-wire oil pressure
>switch.
>
>This arrangement only provides fuel pump power when the engine is cranking
>or running.

Another method is to use a controller manufactured by David Heath
<dheath at vanceandhines.com> as described below.  David made a small run of
these last fall. I do not know if has or is planning make more.

I am now adding a controller which will turn the pump on for 3 seconds
 >> when the key is first turned on, but then will only allow the
 >> pump to run (or continue to run if the car is started in those first 3
 >> seconds) when it receives a tach pulse. As soon as there is no tach pulse,
 >> the fuel pump turns off. Basically the same as a modern EFI car. I know
 >> most people just add an oil pressure switch to the engine and a button
under
 >> the dash to accomplish the same thing, but I feel my solution is cleaner.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI