<VV> New Main Harness installation

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 2 17:33:10 EST 2009

I can see how the main harness cable runs along the heater duct until
it reaches the place where it has to cross over just about under the
drivers seat (picture on 12-21 and 12-22 of the ‘65 manual).  The
only way it appears that it will be able to cross the top of the
heater duct is to remove the plastic duct.  Looking at the Heater and
Accessories blowups on page 15-4 of the '65 service manual and
reading the instructions for the removal of the rear duct assembly,
it appears that I have to remove the duct to under body attaching
screw and lower the duct, disconnect the clips attaching the control
cable along the right side of the duct and then pull the duct
rearward and away from the front heat duct assembly.
First, there appears to be no way that the duct will do any sliding
rearwards as it buts up against the back wall of the tunnel where the
cables exit.  Second, there is no way to reach into the well that the
plastic duct is located in order to disconnect the clips attaching
the control cable on the right side to the duct.  The only visible
connections are on the drivers (left side) of the tunnel.  If you
have ever done this on a '65, please let me know how you did it?
It also appears that I will then have to bend the clips that hold the
wires for the main harness in the tunnel in order to place the new
one in the clips and then bent them back in place.  They appear to be
pretty stout, and I hope I don't break or mutilate one in the process.

My once beautiful hardtop is starting to look like a parts car.

Stephen U