<VV> ring job - looking for running engine

Dave Smith gornzilla at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 19:16:51 EST 2009

I put about 50 miles on it in LA in stop and go traffic, then drove up
to Sacramento the next.  About 350 miles on I-5 doing 70.  I was
keeping an eye on the gauges and a ton of smoke started coming out the
exhaust.  I killed the key and stopped.  Stuck in Lodi again. Lost a
quart of oil.  The oil pump was stuck open and was dumping a lot of
oil.  I had it towed 20 miles.

Some of the heads on the right side of the engine were loose, so they
were retorqued.  There was an exhaust leak from one of them.  The
smoke comes from the exhaust pipe.  The engine was supposed to have be
about 2,500 miles on a rebuild.  The mechanic said it might've been
rebuilt and there wasn't any sounds from the bottom end.

I like my NSU being a project car, not the Corvair.

-Dave