<VV> ring job - looking for running engine

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 3 01:41:56 EST 2009

Dave,

I'm a bit confused by your descriptions.  There is one head on each side of
the engine (assuming a Corvair engine).  You meant to say that some of the
head nuts had lost their torque?

The oil pump was stuck open.... means that the by-pass was by-passing?  Oil
was leaking from the top or side of the filter?  The pump cannot STICK open.
Well, it is always pumping when the engine is turning.  That is what is
supposed to do.  Do you have a crack in the housing around the pump area
which let oil leak out?  Does the oil filter look normal?  Not expanded at
all?  No slit in the side from the harmonic balancer?

Is there oil laying in either of the lower shrouds?

Do you hear a chirp-chirp sound when the engine is running - even just at
idle?

When you noticed the oil trail, did you also notice a loss of power?  Was
the engine smoking (generally almost everywhere) when you pulled over and
opened the lid.  Was the dip stick too hot to touch?

Right now I'm thinking that you have a blown head gasket (or maybe even a
base gasket) and oil leaks onto the manifold.  That might give someone the
impression that the smoke came from the exhaust - and, indeed, some of it
could be coming from there.  The car most likely did not suddenly start
BURNING a quart in 350 miles.  A goodly portion of it most likely went
somewhere else.  If that somewhere else was a leak onto the manifold it will
look like you are part of the mosquito abatement team.  I could be WAY off
on this, but what I've read (and interpreted) so far has me thinking in this
direction.  If I happen to have guessed right, the fix is a half a day for a
newbie with a mechanical mind.

Answers to some of the above question might make me change that current
guess.

Later, JR