<VV> Front Wheel Bearing Adjustment

NICK GIER gier.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jan 3 17:36:35 EST 2009

So I was looking through the shop manual for my 65 Monza in the suspension section and I came across the adjustment of the Front Wheel Bearing section on page 3-2. It said to tighten the adjusting nut to 100 lbs. and that improperly adjusted bearings can cause the car to shimmy and wander which mine does real bad. So I popped the dust cover off the left wheel and took off the retaining ring and apparently the adjustment nut was only on finger tight. So I started to tighten the nut with my torque wrench but the brake drum got real hard to turn before I even came close to 100 ft. lbs. So what is the proper way to tighten the adjusting nut?? I'm going to adjust the steering box next because there is a lot of play in the steering wheel. Thanks for any help.

Nick
65 Monza
63 Spyder