<VV> Corvair v. Falcon

corvairs corvairs at pacifier.com
Sat Jan 3 21:33:20 EST 2009

Crawford - Hows things in Loosiana? Considering the amount of money lost
on each car 67-69 do the numbers add up? Second, what exactly were they
amortizing? We all know that, at least with 68 and 69 only a small
section of the original Corvair plant was used to produce these last
Corvairs. The vast majority of the physical plant and overhead was used
to manufacture other GM products (which, I would assume, carried thier
own reward of amortization).

Further, it has been restated by numerous authorities from Chev that the
1966 was the last Corvair they intended to build. That would have been 7
years, not 5.

As someone who has perpetuated the story about thanking Nader for the
last 3 years, I will agree that no one from GM has officially stated
that - and probably never will. Considering that Naders book came out in
(late 65?) 66 and production numbers drastically dropped in 67,68,69 to
the point of the ridiculous, what else are we to think? We know that,
from a corporate point of view (you know, the guys who make all the
decisions) the Corvair had no GM friends after 1966. So why go on such a
seemingly irrational loss of profit - for three years?

PS - The Edsel was only built for 3 years. I could probably also come up
with a large number of other cars built for less than 5 years or between
6-9 years.

Lon