<VV> ring job - looking for running engine

Dave Smith gornzilla at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 20:19:57 EST 2009

The car is still at the shop.  It was smoking too much from the pipe
to drive anywhere.  I'll check the plugs and the compression on
Monday.

The car was getting hard to stop each time I stopped for gas.  Sort of
like a coil going out.  If I let it cool down it'd start up only it
had to work at it.  When it started smoking, it lost power, and I
killed the engine.  The fan belt came loose and there was a ton of
smoke.  I had it towed home and checked the oil.  It was thick and
black.

The next day, I put the fan belt back on, and tried to restart it.
Oil poured out where the filter attaches.  Not from the side.  No
place to work on it, so I took it to a shop.  He said the oil pump had
a mechanical failure.

I didn't hear any chirping.  When I pulled over it was smoking about
everywhere.  Dipstick was hot.

I went back to the shop after he got it running again.  Up on the
lift, you could see that the passenger side heads were loose.  A
visible gap.  He said ring job and I asked if he'd just retorque the
heads first.  It fires right up and smokes a little.  After 30-60
seconds it's like the smoke screen on Spy Hunter.

I don't think I missed any of the good questions.  If I did, please let me know.

-Dave