<VV> Front Wheel Bearing Adjustment

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Sat Jan 3 21:03:54 EST 2009

"...So I was looking through the shop manual for my 65 Monza in the
suspension section and I came across the adjustment of the Front Wheel Bearing
section on page 3-2. It said to tighten the adjusting nut to 100  lbs..."

Tapered roller wheel bearings should be, when  properly adjusted, at a zero
preload condition. And, for Corvair bearings, with  decent condition bearings,
end play should not exceed .008 (this info comes  directly from 1965 Corvair
Chassis Manual, Section-Page 3-2, step-5). To get to  this condition, the
previous steps explain to spin the wheel and tighten the  adjustment nut to 100
inch pounds, and then back off one flat and insert  the cotter pin; if through
hole is not visible, then back the nut further until  one of the two through
holes becomes available. A later update, in the 67  manual, replaces the "100
inch pound" spec with "12 foot pounds." I suspect this  was done because most
mechanics: were mistaking 100 inch pounds for 100 ft  pounds.; or, because foot
pound torque wrenches were much more available than  were inch pound wrenches.
Personally, I've never used a torque wrench  to adjust wheel bearings. I do
follow the steps outlined in the manual; but,  when it comes to the of torquing
part, I run the nut in until I feel some  friction developing in the bearing,
and then back off to the very next available  cotter pin position. The
following Popular Mechanics article articulates what I  just stated in a way much
better than I could ever hope to (see paragraph  starting with: "...Reinstall the
brake disc (or drum) on the  spindle..."):
_http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4205243.html_
(http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4205243.html)  .

Mike Mauro

**************Stay up-to-date on the latest news - from fashion trends to
celebrity break-ups and everything in between.
(http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000024)