<VV> Gearing

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Sun Jan 4 15:34:48 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/4/2009 12:18:52 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
frankcb at aol.com writes:

Frank,
You're right about the 4 speed  hydramatics, but they weren't available in
Chevys.  And they didn't come  with a torque convertor, just a fluid coupling.
Chevy  got the 3 speed Turbohydramatics in the mid 60s, but my 1958 Plymouth
Belvedere had the 3 speed Torqueflite.  I remember adjusting the linkage  so
it would stay in 2nd gear as high as 70 mph before upshifting to 3rd  gear.
Try that with a 2 speed Powerglide.  So Plymouth was way  ahead of Chevy in
that regard.
But lets get back to  Corvairs.<GGGG>
Frank "the other one"  Burkhard

Yeah, and that 4-speed Hydro-Matic (perhaps due to the fact that power
wasn't wasted in a torque converter) was the most efficient of the early
automatics; so much so that many were sold as original equipment on non-GM cars
(Kaiser, Hudson, Lincoln, maybe Nash.)

Scotty from Hollyweird