<VV> Length of LM Corvairs

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Sun Jan 4 19:40:50 EST 2009

I think it has to do with the manufacturer's preference for a continuous
linear measurement from a zero starting point, which is then applied to the
engineering drawings.

GM's engineers, especially during the Corvair design period, worked out
their full-size designs on a 5-inch grid pattern, with all drawing
dimensions being easily transferred
over to the clay and final wood patterns with this continuous measurement,
rather than switching back and forth to feet.

Same thing in Europe, where all dimensions are drawn in centimeters for
overall length, width, wheelbase, etc.

Mel