<VV> Power brakes

Edelstein and Payne eandp at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 5 08:31:22 EST 2009

Bill,
    I've got two 65 powerglide cars, on that is on the road (most of the time), and one (our "hotrod") that my son and I have been building now for some 4 years or so.  We re-did the brakes on the current road car with all new components and a dual master cylinder, and I still think the pedal pressure is too high.  so for a Christmas present for my son I bought him a vacuum booster with an appropriate dual master cylinder.  I got it from Masterpower brakes.  They used to actually list a kit for late model Corvairs, but they don't any more.  I called and the guy I spoke with was real helpful (don't recall his name, but probably have it somewhere in a file).  He talked to the tech folk, had me measure the distance from the "fire wall" to the center of the clevis pin where the brake rod mounts to the brake pedal lever, and they put a kit together with a bracket and everything in a couple of days.  It's a 9" booster and a dual master cylinder with a 1" bore.  It's for a drum brake car, but I'm sure that they could do the same for a disc brake car --- just a different master cylinder or add a proportioning valve.  cost me a bit less than $200 as I recall.  Haven't yet installed it, and it requires fashioning a vacuum line to run the length of the car up to the trunk, but it should make the car a lot more pleasant to drive.

                   Travis Payne       65 Monza coupe
                   Raleigh, NC        65 500 coupe