<VV> Some questions; powerglide & alternator/generator

Kinzelman, Andy akinzelm at greatnortherncorp.com
Tue Jan 6 14:16:36 EST 2009

Guys,
Today as I was trying to leave a stoplight - the gas pedal was difficult
to push down (I actually thought something had rolled underneath it).
The trans was stuck in 1st - I shifted it to neutral then back; and it
is working normally.  The trans has always had to go to neutral before
drive after being manually shifted into low (E clip?).  AFAIK the fluid
level is OK.
Is the trans heading for failure?  Should I add some 'trans tune'?

We often start engines out of a car.  I remove the fan belt (to not spin
the alt/gen disconnected).  Will the gen/alt be damaged if they are run
without being hooked to a voltage regulator?  What about a 1-wire alt?

Thanks,
Andy K.
Wisconsin