<VV> Winter Project - Pan gasket, etc

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 10:24:26 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/7/2009 6:56:27 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jgreen at alum.mit.edu writes:

3. Try  again to stop the oil pan leak. I gave up with the original pan
because  attempts to fix the 'dimples' around the bolts didn't work. A new
aluminum  pan and a new torque wrench stopped the leaks until we drove  the
car.

John - I don't know which pan you bought, but I can make a "gasketing"
suggestion. Corvair Underground (and maybe some others) sell a composite  material
pan - part Cork and part Neoprene I believe. It is quite tough and  won't
compress and squeeze out or tear like many others. To insure an easy  install and
an easy removal (someday) I glue the gasket down to the pan and  leave the
"case" side clean, or even lightly oil it. If you have the  time, put a tiny bit
of sealer on the pan, fit the gasket in place with the  holes lined up, then
install it onto the block and put in all of the bolts - but  only snug them up,
don't tighten them. Then let the engine/gasket sit over night  so the sealer
will retain the gasket in place. After it has set up, then torque  the bolts
(Think INCH lbs!) per the manual. This works for me! I do the same on  the
valve covers. Gluing only one side makes the covers easily removable and
re-usable without replacing the gaskets.

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! -  Corvair, Camaro, Corvette