<VV> Late to Market, Over Priced and Over Weight

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Wed Jan 7 12:25:52 EST 2009

Sitting in my garage out here in Slippery Rock (Slippery
Driveway today) is a Solstice GXP. I don't have a really
good excuse for buying it. It hardly sees any use (2700
miles in 2 years). Was it late to market? I dunno. When it
showed up I liked it and tried to buy one but was thwarted
by demand. After waiting 6 months I lost interest and said
"no" to the dealer that ordered it for me. Just a short
time later the GXP version was announced and it sounded
pretty good with 260 horsepower out of a 2 litre 4 banger.
I was offered a chance to get one at employee price so I
jumped. Was it overpriced? Looking back with all the deals
and discounts being offered by my ailing former employer
my "deal" doesn't look quite as good now, but the deal is
done as they say. Is the car overweight? Why is that an
issue? I can go from zero to ohmygosh in about 5 seconds.
I can eclipse any posted speed limit in the Northern
Hemisphere by a factor of 2. And I can realize 31 MPG when
driving like a sane person trying not to get pinched by
Johnny Law. Does all this make GM the bad guy? Is there
any Corvair content in this message? I did have to arrange
other storage options for my fleet of caveman cars to make
room for Mr. Solstice and his garage mate, a 1976 Corvette
with a whopping 210 HP out of 5.7 litres. I think we are
making technological progress here. - Pete K