<VV> Corvair FI

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Wed Jan 7 16:59:15 EST 2009

All:  Chevrolet R&D built a mechanical FI system for the Corvair at the
direction of Chief Engineer Pete Estes.  Stinger racer Jerry Thompson worked
on it, and did some field testing with it on his Stinger.  They bolted it on
to their car, and ran it at Mosport near Toronto in a Canadian sedan race
where it was legal.  I think it was the summer of '66, and I think they
DNF'd, but I don't remember why.

While Yenko listed it as an option on Stingers, none were ever
sold/installed on a car as far as anyone knows.  He didn't have the parts
etc to do so.  It wasn't legal in any SCCA class other than D-sports racing,
where a size of the Corvair vs say a Lotus 23 was a real problem.

I do not know where CPF's example is today...or how it was acquired.

The SOHC engine Chevy R&D did use GM's copy of triple-barreled Webers.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice

Message: 12