<VV> breathe me tender, breathe me deep ...

Delta Mfg. deltainc at grm.net
Fri Jan 9 17:51:33 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Elliott" <corvair at fnader.com>
Subject: Re: <VV> GM - no specific Vair

>>.  Do you *need* 4-valves-per to make a powerful, peppy
>>engine?
>>
> No, but you *need* more than 2 valves per cylinder to make a powerful,
> peppy, and _economical_ engine. It improves volumetric efficiency.
> Bill
**********
Owch!  Stop twisting my arm... ok, I give up ... time to mention again what
good breathing can do toward horsepower .. in 1970, our toy car engines were
pretty good, using crossflow and roughly 3/4 horse from 0.2 cu inches ( 3 or
4 hp per cu inch but 2 stroke ) ... that was my best efforts, me being
pretty good in my little puddle and receiving factory support in my efforts
.... at the current time, the same displacement, box ( crate to you ) toy
race car engines are putting out 15 horses per cu inch, most all having to
do with improved breathing ( as the power goes up, the rods and bearings
have to get bigger, which actually starts to become a power trade-off ... ).

Directed porting, Swirl Porting was the cause for most of that .......
.... current vair heads .. looks like half the intake charge is directed
back up the intake  ports ....

Just some thoughts, ken campbell, idoway