<VV> Erratic Tach with Crane/Allison Ignition

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Fri Jan 9 20:24:55 EST 2009

I've installed a Spyder dash in the wife's Greenbrier. The van has an
Allison/Crane XR700 ignition + a Safeguard. The tach is erratic: tach function
seems OK sitting still and revving the engine, but on the road at speed, when
mashing the gas, the RPMs increase, in an unsteady manner,  dramatically.
Listening to the pitch of the engine, the RPMs, in actuality,  are not increasing to
match what the tach is "saying." The Allison/Crane  instructions state buying
and connecting their Tach Adapter might solve erratic  tach function. I've
already placed a 10-ohm resister in series with the signal  wire between the coil
and the tach (per Allison/Crane tech support advice),  but the problem
persists. Has anyone else experienced erratic tach  operation when using the
Allison/Crane ignition; and, if so what was the  fix? Before shelling out $$$, and
taking the effort to hook up the Tach Adapter,  I'd prefer to hear form others
who have already dealt with similar issues.  Thanks...

Mike Mauro

headlines. (http://news.aol.com?ncid=emlcntusnews00000002)