<VV> CORVAIR 5-SPEED...DAVE'S TAKE

Rod Murray rmurray at anaheimducks.com
Sun Jan 11 10:57:01 EST 2009

When in doubt, go to the historical authority...I forwarded this thread to historian dave newell for his thoughts...

Well, I'm with Seth. If someone can show us pictures of a 5-speed (5 forward speeds & 1 reverse, that is) with Chevrolet experimental part numbers on it (all were prefixed with an 0- )then I'll be surprised and fascinated. The "O" numbers will be cast into the case and etched onto almost every other part except those that might have been off the shelf, like bearings). And/or some internal documents verifying the project.

I've never heard or seen any reference to a Corvair 5-speed transmission, or had anyone from Chevrolet Engineering mention such a beast. I spent a lot of time with Frank Winchell and his tranny guys and no one ever mentioned it. They definitely would have known about it. And there's no record in the GM Design archives of such an installation in the Sebring or Super Spyders.

What the Vair was REALLY crying for was a three speed automatic, and although Winchell confirmed that one was done on paper, it was never built. No money!

There really wasn't much need for a five speed stick back then, and with the Vair's relatively low torque in '63, pulling an OD gear wouldn't gain too much speed. Cruising economy would be the biggest benefit but again in the 60s that wasn't too important.

Of course, one thing I've learned is to never say never. But the cost of developing a Vair 5 speed would be hard to hide.

Oh, please post this on VV.

Dave Newell

Thx, Rod
(BlackBerry built - pls excuse typos)

When in doubt, go to the historical authority...I forwarded this thread to historian dave newell for his thoughts...