<VV> breathe me tender, breathe me deep ...

Delta Mfg. deltainc at grm.net
Sun Jan 11 21:49:52 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
Subject: Re: <VV> breathe me tender, breathe me deep ...

> Soo, any thoughts on porting to improve that flow?  Or would you need
> different castings entirely?
>
> --Bryan
**************
I think it would be more likely technically than  politically ....  I would
try it first using a very thick sleeve, maybe 1/2 inch thick, and hand grind
in some directive ports;  the air fuel routings in a good 2 stroke are long
and tortuous, seems to work ok.... ( think about the air/fuel on a stock
corvair turbo ... what?   3 feet ??  and yet the torque improvement over a
stock intake with close carb-valve location is about what is expected from
the fuel mass increase   ) .....  maybe we gave up on side valves too early
(g)... maybe we needed directed multi port side valve intakes........

The torque gained over the early 0.2 CI crossflows ( about 40 oz inch max )
to the new directed ports ( about 55 ounce inch ) is interesting enough, but
along the way a lot of $$time went into keeping the torque curve pretty
flat, and increasing the rpms at the same time.  We ran single speed gear
ratios for a long time, and needed low end torque...  Still not quite sure
you need 2 speeds to win, but they are so much fun they are standard now....
( maybe a 2 speed auto corvair is way ahead of it's time./engine  (g)
    )  ....

Politically ?  If this scheme worked as well as I would think, you would
have maybe 2 or 3 races to use it ... either it would be declared illegal,
or next season everyone would be using it.  For street use?  probably way
too expensive to have the special parts made .....   the new wave of engines
coming now  ( and the elderly Rover 4.0 water cooled v8 etc. ) are much
cheaper... no waiting.

Although I would love to see the tech inspectors staring at 4 or  6  little
worm holes in the side of the sleeves(g) ...

just some more thoughts, ken campbell, deltawerkes