<VV> Plug questions - Pre-ignition and pinging

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Jan 13 15:30:02 EST 2009

In a message dated 1/13/2009 12:00:26 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
dave.thompson at verizon.net writes:

"The hot  tip can also promote pinging."  I have a set of new
AC42F's in stock  (listed as a cold plug). If I installed them, could I
advance my timing a  bit and still not have pinging? Or are there a number of
other issues to  contend with?

There may be several issues at work. This is my opinion -  (two and  one-half
cents worth)
I think the hot tip promotes pre-ignition, not an accelerated flame front
(pinging). Although the symptoms are similar, pre-ignition is caused by a hot
area remaining after the burn, and the incoming charge is ignited early. It may
 still burn, as opposed to explode - which it what pinging is. As an example,
if  the ignition is fired off early, the cylinder pressure pushes down on the
piston  as it is still rising up on the compression stroke, holding down the
power  input. If the flame front speeds up from burn to explosion, that too
can press  down on the piston top - hard - that is the sound you hear, the
explosion, and  that will cause loss of power as well. But pinging can take place
even after the  normal ignition point, and can still cause loss of power, with
the explosive  hammer blow on the piston expending the expansion energy of the
gases, then  there is only a small increase in pressure to keep pushing down
the piston. Of  course, pre-ignition can lead to pinging, if the flame front
burn hits the major  portion of the fuel, just as the piston has reached full
compression - the rest  is often going to light off with an explosion. So the
cooler plug may  prevent pre-ignition, giving you back some power. It might aid
any pinging  problems, too. But the cooler plug may be more prone to fouling,
if it is  running too cool. A hotter after-market ignition might be a help
for this.

Seth Emerson  - Opinions are like belly buttons

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! -  Corvair, Camaro, Corvette

headlines. (http://news.aol.com?ncid=emlcntusnews00000002)