<VV> [Fwd: Someone told me about a car for sale]

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 03:21:26 EST 2009

VAT is correct (it's 25% at the moment but is usually 27.5%), but it's not
correct that it is a good way to ship parts (well, at least not parts that
are worth having).

Some shippers actually demand that the cars be shipped empty - I had to pay
$600 to have the contents removed from the trunk and sent back to NC with
the first Corvair that I ever shipped, because I left it at the dock
absolutely loaded to the gunwales and went back to my friend's house in NC.

The reason it is actually better to ship the cars empty anyway is because
they have to be left unlocked with the keys in, in a non-secure compound (it
is locked so that they can't be driven out).

All the local small-time crooks and pond life and mouth-breathers and Mafia
and street gangs (don't forget we are talking about Jersey City here...)
then swarm over the fence and pick the cars over, so you have to make sure
you have a spare set of keys (they usually chuck those in the dock), cover
the seats VERY well and remove anything that might 'walk' from the car (e.g.
switches, steering wheel caps, hubcaps, badges, etc.), as well as making
sure there is nothing to steal from it. The only thing I have ever
successfully shipped in a car was the 1946 Schwinn bike that I chained to
the seat in the back of the 8-door when we shipped it!

And all the cars arrive in the UK with a dead battery, because the teamsters
or whatever they are have to drive the cars onto the ship, and they usually
can't work out what is 'on' and what is 'off', and so they leave the
ignition on, which deadens the battery.

Cheers

Alan