<VV> Shipping An Engine

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Thu Jan 22 17:03:46 EST 2009

Darrell,

Even though you posted to Corvanatics, I am posting this to Virtual Vairs as
well because it might be of general interest to us all.

Figure the Corvair motor will weigh about 310 to 325 pounds plus your
shipping materials.  The difference in weight will depend on whether it is complete
with shrouding, alternator, carbs, etc.

I shipped a motor from Chicago to Los Angeles in 2004 so I can't tell you
what to expect to pay since it has been such a long time.  Also, fuel costs have
changed as well as the fact that freight companies are probably a little
hungry today.  However, I can give you some advice based on my experience.  As
follows .....

1.)  I used www.freightquote.com and dealt with a fellow by the name of
Anthony Schmitt.  He was very helpful but I have no idea if he is still there or
even if the company still exists.  800-323-5441 x1850  Obviously, check several
freight companies for the best price and service.

2.)  Ask what the cheapest category is for shipping.  This isn't obvious on
the website.  You will be charged different rates for different categories.
The difference can be significant.  I think we categorized mine as "car parts"
but I don't recall.

3.)  If you are able to have the motor dropped off and picked up at the
terminal, it is MUCH cheaper than door to door.

4.)  Mount the motor to a full sized pallet.  The seller of my motor found a
small pallet that was about the footprint of the motor.  This led to sheet
metal being banged up and other damage.

5.)  The seller tied the motor to the pallet with rope.  (I didn't believe it
when I saw it.)  Obviously, the motor shifted and may have even come off in
shipment.  Your seller should strap it to the pallet and pay attention to where
the straps go.  If the straps go over sheet metal, the metal could bend in
shipping and loosen the strapping with resulting shifting and damage.

6.)  The freight company will probably require that you drain the oil and
possibly the carbs.  You may want to have the carbs and other parts shipped
separately.  My motor was a 180 turbo and I insisted that the turbo parts be
shipped separately.  The alternator was left on the motor and the bracket was
broken.  If you box the parts and try to attach them to the pallet with the motor,
be very careful.  It is best to ship the parts by UPS, etc.

7.)  Buy insurance from the freight company.  It is cheap so buy extra.  My
motor was temporarily lost in shipment and I got the distinct impression that
the significant insurance that I bought was a factor that prompted a more
serious search.  It was found.  By the way, when you buy the insurance, you should
describe the motor in terms that stress it's unique value.  Like most
insurance companies, they will probably try to cheese you if there is a loss.  Since
you posted to Corvanatics, I am assuming that your 110 HP is an FC motor.  This
means that it is quite rare especially if it is for a 1965 Greenbrier.  It is
more credible if this value is stated before a loss.  Whatever you insure it
for, they will try to make you take the value for the cheapest Corvair motor
they can find.  You will get into a pissing contest on whether or not it is
equivalent.  (car vs. FC; 145 CI vs. 164 CI; running vs. seized)  In case of a
loss, they will check the price with the seller and will probably pay only that
amount but a higher insurance number may just get them to take better care in
shipping or searching if lost.  Also, I am not sure whether they will try to
just reimburse for the purchase value of the motor and ding you for the
shipping costs so make sure you are covered.

8.)  Have the seller take pictures of the motor from all angles as it is
mounted on the pallet and delivered to the terminal.  This will help if there is a
loss.  In addition, it might prompt the seller to do a better packaging job.

9.)  Last but most important.  If it is a 1965 motor, would you consider
leaving it right here in CA where it belongs.  I would truly love to have the
proper engine in my 1965 Greenie.  :-)

In any case, good luck.

Doc
1960 Vette; 1961 Rampside; 1962 Rampside; 1964 Spyder coupe; 1965 Greenbrier;
1966 Corsa Turbo Coupe; 1967 Nova SS; 1968 Camaro ragtop