<VV> carburetor problems?

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 25 17:08:48 EST 2009

the Perryman Orphanage Master wrote:

>Hmmm. I thought that was normal.  :)

The Sage Mr Helt added:

>I suggest a little diagnostic work.
>
>... are your accel pumps  working? Please verify visually [fuel squirting into the throttle bore when the linkage is actuated]. Does [sic] the this help the starting?

I really don't see how verifing the fuel shot would "help" the starting
-- it would help the diagnosis, though.

>... the fuel in the bowls is gone.  So the first thing to do is verify this. Let it set for several days and then remove just the covers of both carbs and note the fuel level in the bowls.

And I have to agree with them both -- providing two different solutions.

1) add an electric fuel pump to refill the carbs before you try starting
the engine.  Will give the appearence of having solved the problem, and
probably also give you the results you want, if we are guessing correctly.

2) fix the problem with the carbs, or whatever, by first following
Helt's good advice.  Among other things, plugged air bleeds can create a
siphon effect that can just suck the fuel out of the bowl over a period
of time.  If you had a QuadraJet (you probably don't - you'd have told
us if you did),  I would suggest repairing the main jet metering well
plugs, but that is not a normal Corvair issue.  Carb rebuilding is more
than just taking it apart, dumping out the fuel and re-assembling it
with new gaskets. It is making sure all the internal passages are clear
and that everything works properly.  If you rebuilt the carbs so they
are working properly, this hard starting should not be happening, and
the cause probably lies elsewhere. Unless the fuel bowls are 'really
dry', the accel pumps should give you enough fuel to start the car
easily, regardless of what the chokes do.  My old 6 volt Porsche will
start in the cold just fine (remembering that everything is relative)
and it doesn't even have chokes, never did -- just the accelerator pumps
and a manual throttle advance.

Someitmes I wonder if our modern port injected cars that start on the
very first compression stroke haven't lead us to loose sight of how a
new car typically started in 196x?  And you younger fellows never even
had these experiences.

Lots of possiblities exist, including the ignition system, so help us
help you out a bit, and do the diagnostic work as suggested.  I mean we
can guess at what's wrong, and suggest lots of good ways to part you and
your funds doing all sorts of great stuff (the Carbmiester loves guys
like you) that may or may not give the results you seek, but without
some facts that you can provide, we are doing just that - guessing,
maybe good  educated gueesses, backed by personal experience, but still
just guesses as it pertains to your situation.

my 4¢ (inflation),

Bill Strickland